I have to post about the day that started it all…
I saw a posting on Craigslist for a cardmaking class that was a fundraiser for breast cancer research. It happened to be in Burnaby, was for a good cause, and involved making cards and stamping – two things I hadn’t done very much of yet, but was definitely interested in. I thought it would be fun to try it out and see what it was like! I emailed the lady to say I would be attending, and went all by myself (.none of my friends could make it, but I wanted to go anyway!)
I showed up a little late (Anthony and I had been asking my parents for their blessing for our marriage!) and was welcomed by name! I was quite impressed! I was in time to see the demonstrations of three cards of different levels (easy, medium, and hard). The table that I had unknowingly sat down at happened to be the one doing the hard card first! I took this to be a positive thing – it meant that Kari’s instructions would be fresh in my mind. The ladies at my table were wonderful and helpful and we had a sample card to pass around. The card was super cute and you could use the sample card as a template and then make little changes as you liked. It was nice having a guide and also being able to make the card ‘mine’.
The cool thing about this workshop was that I got to use a whole bunch of tools that I had never seen before! In this card I used the two tag punches, a couple circle punches and the ‘word window’ punch for the magnifying glass. A really pretty flower punch for the bigger petals (the little ones are felt from a tin containing a whole assortment of flowers. I now know that is called Flower Fusion in the catalogue) and brads. The cute bugs that you see are stamps that I coloured using the Stampin’ Write markers. You can’t see it, but I made a multicoloured caterpillar! I was quite proud of myself 🙂
I thought this card would be perfect for my nephew Chandler who was turning three in July. I realized that I didn’t have all the same tools, but I had the idea so I did my best and this is what I made:
My stamp collection at the time was essentially non-existent, and I don’t have any drawing abilities whatsoever, so I used the little pictures from the index card you get when you develop photos at Superstore, and put them on my wheel. For a kid Chandler’s age, it was something for him to look at, and see pictures of himself with everyone in the family.
The next card I made that day was the ‘easy’ card. It was a nice change from the Bugs and Kisses one because I had been starting to feel a little rushed. All’s well that end’s well! I used a brayer for the first time for that cool orange background effect. I have since seen Kari (the demonstrator of this event, and now my ‘upline’) make another beautiful card using the brayer, so that is definitely on my wish list! This was also the first time I got to use the ticket corner punch which I decided make cards and scrapbook matting look very classy! As you will see in other pictures, I ended up buying this punch myself and love it!
The third and last card I made that day was the ‘medium’ one and the background stamp was my favourite. It is now retired, but I lucked out and managed to buy it from someone! I used it to make a wedding card for friends of ours that got married in the summer (not nearly as nice as the original, but hey, I tried!). The picture gives you an idea of what I did, but it looked better in real life (I hope :P). In the original we used StazOn ink for the black on the vellum. I didn’t have that, so I tried using a regular ink pad. I had several botched attempts because the ink kept smudging. I hope this one lasted after they read it!
After the card-making fun was over, there was still the discover of the catalogue to be made! I had no idea what to expect, but I can tell you that the catalogue was slightly overwhelming at first! There were so many stamps, so many cool things, nice paper, great tools…I had no idea where to start! I wanted to get something that I knew I would be able to use right away, and that wouldn’t be too much so that Anthony wouldn’t freak out (I had already spent a lot when I started scrapbooking). Upon another lady’s recommendation, I ended up getting the Stampin’ Scrub and the Stampin’ Mist so that I could clean the stamps that I had properly. She also said that if I wasn’t particular, I could get the bigger size (more value for my money) and just add a hairspray lid to it. That’s what I did! It is my most used tool by far!
I have since found that my dollar store ink pads are horrible on my stamps. Because the pad is so spongy, the ink goes into every single possible crack and it is really hard to clean off. I have a couple Stampin’ Up ink pads that work so much better – you pay for what you get!
Back to this fundraiser thing I feel I should clarify something that confused me at the time. There were two ladies involved. One lady was the Hostess and another was the Demonstrator. I have since figured out that the Hostess was the one who invited her friends, who advertised for the fundraiser, and who supplied the treats. The Demonstrator, Kari, was the one showed us what to do, prepared the cards and supplies, and did the demonstrations. There are all sorts of benefits to being a Hostess and a Demonstrator. To find out what they are, check out my SU! website and go to the section on ‘Host a Workshop.’ If you are interested in hosting a workshop or finding out more about becoming a demonstrator, please feel free to contact me!